Sunday 20 February 2011

Goodbye Bizarre Creations, and thanks so much

I'm not sure how I couldn't make a blog about this one. Sure, I only ever played the Geometry Wars games but I did buy Blur, it's just still sealed. But, Geometry Wars is my favourite XBLA series and second favourite Xbox series of all time. It's one of the best games on the Wii and even though I haven't played the DS version I'm sure that's good too. When Bizarre made the first game and I downloaded it, I loved it.

I was a bit skeptical at first, I had just gotten my Xbox 360 back in early 2007 and had some points to download my first XBLA games. I knew I wanted Smash TV, which I kind of regret thanks to that glitched Achievement but I really didn't know what else. My friend Siriku told me about Geometry Wars and it didn't seem too exciting and I wasn't too interested. But I wanted to know more and once shown the game and realising it had little to do with math I decided to download it. It was the first dual stick shooter I had played and the controls were perfect. It might have felt a little weird at first but they made so much sense, this game was amazing. A few years later I finally got all of the Achievements in it and that was awesome, it was my most played Xbox 360 game of all time by this point. It's a really odd one too as usually these days once I've finished a games Achievements then I'm done with it. Geometry Wars manages to be one of the few cases where this isn't true, I still play it today and it's still just as good.

Then came Geometry Wars 2, was it better than the first? Well, with all of the different game types it has, the game certainly tries it's hardest to be better. I don't know if it's just nostalgia for the first game, but I like them just as much as each other and find it really difficult to choose between them. Geometry Wars 2 was really awesome, my favourite mode being Pacifism which involves you going through gates to kill enemies and you're not allowed to shoot. Geometry Wars 2 quickly became my second most played Xbox 360 game and it deserves it greatly.

I want to say thank you to Bizarre Creations and in particular the Geometry Wars team, you created such and amazing series which I still play today and will probably continue to play for many, many years to come. It's sad to know that it's highly unlikely we'll see Geometry Wars 3, it's really sad to know that you won't be bringing us great games any longer. But thank you so much for those great games and I hope you have a great future wherever and whatever it is that you decide to do next.

Thanks for reading, bye :)

No comments:

Post a Comment